August 21, 2006

Unassisted triple play

Some years ago I watched the broadcasting of a baseball game when the commentator mentioned that one of the players has accomplished an unassisted triple play in his career. It was a very average player, but that single play made him famous for all times. Only a very few number of players have ever done it, only 5 in the last 75 years. I was deeply moved that he had done such a rare thing, but never did really understand what it meant.
These days I watched again a game where one of the players hit a triple, which only occured for the second time in current season (with several hundred games). I was very excited in the first moment.
Now, thanks to wikipedia again, I know the difference (triple means the batter reaches the third base after his hit). Anyway, I love sports where it takes years to know all the rules and the wording, like baseball and american football. This adds some intellectual touch to the usually very physical ball games.

How does a player feel who is famous only for only one play? Of course he's proud of it, but I guess it can get very annoying being reduced to that single moment, everybody asking the same question about it. It might become a real burden. Maybe sometime I get the chance to ask him about that issue :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play