January 04, 2007

Day 81

2 days left.
As a kind of a last minute trip we went to the oldest of the districts of San Francisco, the Mission. This was the place where the first Spanish missionaries arrived and settled. Today it is the Mexican quarter.The Mission is not really beautiful, but it's charming. Old houses, a view on Twin Peaks and other green hills and many great wall paintings are very interesting. The wall paintings, called Murals, are amazing. I took many photos and since I cannot decide which to leave out I will post almost all of them :-)


One example of a nicely painted building is the Edificio De La Mujeres (womens building).


The murals are mostly in small alleyways which I prefer not to visit at night.







Besides the murals streetlife is pretty similar to other quarters of S.F.
There are some food stores, though not as many as in Chinatown.
From some of the streets the Twin Peaks hills (and their neighbors) are visible.
And of course you can eat typical Mexican food. We had the best fresh Burito of my life on our way and for dinner we stopped at a simple but very typical Mexican Cantina, where I had a Sopa de Chorizo and a Negra Modelo beer :-)