August 12, 2009

Louvre

My personal highlight of Paris was the Louvre, the worlds largest museum. The palace itself is beautiful and surprisingly large, even the glass entry is famous and happens to be the roof of a shopping mall in the basement. Well, it has to serve 30.000 visitors each day(if I remember right).



In fact it's impossible to see everything within one visit, even one month would probably be too short. So I limited my visits to the painters, especially the French.
The floor with the Mona Lisa was the hardest, since many travel parties tried to finish the Louvre within just one hour, so all they did was to find Mona Lisa and take a picture of it, then back to the bus.
I even saw a guy with a videocamera walking along the Gallery filming the paintings for later study at home...
It's hard to describe the paintings, I liked many of them because they somehow touched me. Delacroix and Ingres were pretty impressive, like La grande Odalisque or this one.