January 26, 2011

Buenos Aires - Day 24

In the last week of my stay I finally had Empanadas, a signature dish of Argentina (and probably some others Latin-Amerika countries). It's a stuffed bread, they usually eat them at lunch or even breakfast and they are filled with meat, ham and cheese and also with sweet things.
For todays lunch we went to an Empanaderia :-) and I was surprised how much better it tasted than I had expected.They made them fresh after I had chosen some from a huge list of possible options. We discovered that they are marked right at the bread to show the filling. I had Empanadas Caprese (tomate, mozzarella) and Empanadas con Carne Suave (beef, not spicy).
After school the forecasted thunderstorm was about to approach and the air was very humid, at 37 Celsius in the shadows. So at about halfway home I entered a cafe with air-condition and had coffee, medialunas and fresh orange juice. It was the Cafe Plaza Dorrego. It's the prototype of an 100-years old tango bar with a black-and-white tiled floor, very old and dark wooden furniture showing many many scratches and lots of dusty gin bottles on the shelf. The waiter wears a formal dress like in the good old days and they play old tango like this. Could have stayed there for hours...

While I was searching the tango music for the link above I came across this tango clip! I guess I should have signed in for the tango classes..now it's too late :-(

Later, in the evening the first rain shower strafed the city and left a magnificent rainbow..