September 22, 2013

Hongkong - Getting There

Flight time was about 16 hours including a very short stopover in nightly London Heathrow.


Arrived at Hong Kong International Airport at about 5pm the next day. I was able to sleep several hours during the flight, so I felt quite well. The sub-tropical weather is hot and humid, although it didn't hit me for the next several hours since every place is well air-conditioned here: airport, Airport Express train and apartment.


As always I took pictures of the airport, again nothing special here besides aircraft and concrete.


The apartment is even better than hoped for, with an awesome view over Victoria Harbour onto Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. The giant tower on the left side is the ICC building, the highest building of Hongkong (about 500 mtrs, 108 floors). The 100th floor is open to the public, already on my must-see list.
There is a light show going on every night on the TST waterfront including the ICC tower surface, which I can watch comfortably lying on my bed.


Side view from my window along Jaffe Road. The moon was full which also has something to do with the Mid-Autumn festival here. Unfortunately I was too late and also too tired to see the giant dragon etc. and so far I haven't tried moon-cake either.


Room is quite nice, clean and almost spacious regarding to the Hongkong standards I expected after reading all the Internet reviews. View is breath-taking and sort of hypnotic as well. No need to use the tv here for entertainment. TST waterfront light show is already under way..



And then, after all these hours of excitement and travel torture there came the moment to relax with a light drink and a big smile before retiring to bed.... :-)