October 22, 2006

Day 7

Since there is all around the preparation for the marathon tomorrow I decided to walk at least a part of the course today, just as a kind of a workout :-)
The original course of the marathon is shown here:
http://www.nike.com/nikemarathon/
Well, let's go...

Right at the beginning I spotted these nice firefighther truck. Why aren't the german firefighter trucks not that good looking? :-)

Then I went along Fisherman's Wharf, which is a huge tourists trap in San Francisco. There is a bunch of sea lions watching the tourists, which are buying many interesting souvenirs like Alcatraz prisoner shirts etc.

Then I had to take the official photo of the Golden Gate Bridge...

Then I came across this funny sign. Maybe I was too much smiling about the trail to Mexico (the last one), so I took the wrong turn..

After some minutes the way became more and more difficult, it was just a small path along the bluffs. But below was a small but nice beach.
And the fellow hikers were only men, all the time smiling and greeting..and on the beach I saw some nude males...
Luckily then I remembered the teacher who told us, that the north of Baker Beach is a male nude beach...I instantly turned and went back...

Then I dicovered the regular Baker Beach, it's a beautiful but crowded sandy beach. Unfortunately I forgot my swimming shorts.......in Berlin :-(

After many more miles I reached the Sutros Heights Park, which is providing a breathtaking view on the pacific coast (the beach is called ocean beach). So I saw the pacific ocean for the first time in my life.
I walked for six hours without a break, I was really exhausted. In the distance I recognized the tents of the marathon finish. So I walked at least half the distance ( the runners have to run past the finish for a round around Lake Merced and the back to the finish).
I had enough walking for the day, so I took the bus back home (it was my first bus ride in California).