May 15, 2007

Station series: Hamburg Hauptbahnhof

Continuing my collection of photos of German railroad stations: here is Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (Hamburg central station). It is a pretty busy place, I suppose it is already overloaded. Trains leave almost every minute and everybody is running around, hitting other travellers with the luggage and there are more than usual of these incomprehensible announcements which we hear at every station or airport :-)
It is really heavy crowded. One of the reasons could be the neighborhood of the station, nobody dares to leave it. On one side of it there is a shopping center but on the other side there is the probably worst red-light district in Germany. And it is far from obvious which exit leaves in which direction. I remember one day I had time left to the departure of the train and I had the idea of leaving the station and do some shopping. But I took the wrong exit. Suddenly I was surrounded by mean looking pimps and there was nothing to shop besides drugs or girls, it was like entering sin city. I was back in, in cold sweat, after a few minutes. Until today I'm happy that I got away with my life and all my belongings (ok, this is a very small exaggeration ;-)