May 15, 2007

Trip to Hamburg

Flying through the countryside at 228 kph is a great feeling. It is even better since the InterCityExpress does it almost silent compared to a car at that speed. It is not a bad place to be at that morning hour, watching the window, preparing the busy day...
Well, watching the window was more interesting as sort of meditation than actually as sightseeing. The only place along the rails I remember was Wittenberge which looked kind of dead (but is nevertheless mentioned in Wikipedia:-). The rest of the time there were only green fields and cattle. Maybe the train was too fast to spot interesting things because after only 96 minutes we reached Hamburg (about 300 kilometers).
I arrived in Hamburg as I had left it the last time and as I remember it from every single visit : in heavy rain. To tell the true: Hamburg and I are not the closest friends.
However, I was quite fascinated to discover a ship tied next to the building where I had my business meeting (looking down from the 10th floor). I have to admit that this is special. As I learned later (during a heavy traffic jam caused by this) it was the day of the 818th anniversary of the Hamburg harbour and a huge party was going on. Hmm, I guess the Hamburg residents are used to the rain, for me there would be no fun.