October 02, 2013

Hongkong - Day 12

Today after school I went home using a different street than usual. So I came across one of the Hong Kong wet markets, where they sell the bloody and fishy things as well as fresh produce. The street is wet all along the market, maybe the name derives from this..
Here are some pictures of it..







Some dry goods were available, too.


At the end of the market there was one of these typical Chinese restaurants which have a handful of tables inside but sell as many meals for takeout. At all times of the day one sees people in the streets carrying the white plastic bags with food containers. I always wanted to buy such a meal myself...unfortunately there is no such thing as an English menu for these simple shops. 

So first I had to decide what to eat. They had some roast pork, bbq meat and what I guess are doves. They still are complete birds, even with the head. Please klick on the picture for a detailed view :-)



Also they had steamed fish, a really large one cut in pieces. This was the choice which was ordered most and during the minutes I was watching they had to replace the tray three times, so it had to be fresh.
Well, I decided it was time for seafood today.

Now to the ordering process. I waited and tried to hear how people ordered, it didn't help me a bit, I couldn't understand a word of it. Everything was cryptic Cantonese. 
Ok, so I simply pointed on the fish tray and made a hungry face. Then the women asked me: 'rice, too?' 
She spoke perfect English :-) 

 In the end I was very happy and proud to walk home with a white plastic bag with a food container.


It was really good, once more. Typical Cantonese style without a heavy brown sauce or something, just a perfectly steamed fresh fish with a bit of ginger and chili and some cabbage, then some drops from the good soy sauce I bought the first day, that's it. 
And it was more than enough, I could refill my bowl 3 times, all for just under 3 Euros. 


Later I wanted to go to a park. Weather was beautiful, 30 degrees and a blue sky. I took the old tram and had a sightseeing tour at walking speed. I sat on the upper deck at the back.


Took some pictures out of the window of it.


First idea was to go to the Peak and then in the Peak Garden. But the Peak Tram Queue was way too long. So instead I turned and went to Hong Kong Park once more.


After I while I felt like having a tea and entered the tea house. There I had green tea and a couple of very good sweet dim sum dumplings. The white one was a shell of coconut flakes filles with black sesame, the other one was something with chocolate, swimming in Jasmine tea...or like that. 


The tea was a rather light, fruity green tea. They serve a small cup with tea leaves and a hot water and one can re-brew as many cups one like..or until the taste is gone. Exactly as I had learned it during my tea tasting lesson.

The tea house itself is decorated very traditional and is nicely cool and calm, relaxing Chinese music in the background. So that was a perfect break from the heat and the hustle of the city.

Then back home with the tram, again.


Eventually here a picture of a typical HK bbq restaurant displaying the goods in the window. I had mentioned it in yesterday's post, so here is the picture.