October 01, 2013

Hongkong - Day 11

Today is Chinese National Day, no school. I haven't been feeling very well, though, still suffering from a cold. So most of the day I spent lying on my bed, one eye directed at the harbor and one at the Mandarine study book. I celebrated the National Day by learning the language.

Late afternoon I decided that I had to go out at least for some minutes. So I went along Percival Rd. to Times Square to see what's going on. Street was crowded as every day, nothing special. 



Then into Times Square building.


I only went in to a Japanese kitchen utilities shop on one of the upper floors, admired the tea pots, then left.



Then into maybe the freshest supermarket I ever have been to, the CitySuper, in the basement of Times Square. From living lobster to oysters to uncountable different kinds of Asian mushrooms to the finest Japanese beef, everything one ever needs for Asian cooking...and European as well. They even had a decent choice of Spanish Jamon, freshly cut from the pork leg. 

That had made me hungry, so I decided to enter a restaurant somewhere. Since in the afternoon I had read about the art of Chinese bbq 'Char siu' I wanted some. It is very typical for Hong Kong cuisine. Every street one sees a windows with roasted pork, ducks and chickens.
There are several of these restaurants around in my block, even in the same building. I chose the 'Tai Hing' on Jaffe Road, because they have an English menu. I can't read the Mandarine one, yet :-)

Since it was still before 6pm they had the so called tea sets, beverage and a meal for a cheap price. I had a cold milk tea, very very good. A very common drink here in HK.


To eat I had a bbq mix plate with pork roast, bbq pork and white cut chicken. The meat was perfectly well, not to greasy, just enough fat for the taste. It was nicely soft, they roast it for long times at low temperatures. 
The Cantonese style cuisine doesn't mix too many flavors, each part and flavor is kept rather distinctive. I liked it a lot. 
Simply a great meal, for a total of about 6 Euros.